Towards Perfect Cue Ball Control - The D Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
    Ronnie takes advice, changes and loosens his grip to improve his long ball potting like robbo. Hey presto, he's potting long balls like a dream. The advice came from someone not as good as him. Expert Steve Davis says he is still learning about the game. The less than greatest don't need to learn anything. I guess that's why they're top pros?

Barry I'm not disputing the fact that we can always learn something, I was referring more to a couple of guys myself and Pottr know from our local league. One of which has apparently had 100 breaks but definitely hasn't! I guess you could call it the bullsh**ters?!

Funny you mention the loosening of the grip on long pots, I've made this change over the past year or so after Pottr advised me to try it and my long potting's come on a dream. We can learn from those better or worse than us but it's essential to be able to ignore those who are clearly full of nonsense.

I'll try your pink challenge tonight if I get a chance, sounds incredibly tricky though!
    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

• Not to go too far off topic as I suppose it's to do with cue ball control but the more I play the more it seems to me a lot of problems are grip related, I feel if you can get the grip out of your game altogether the better your cueing will be. Is that a fair assessment?
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
        Barry I'm not disputing the fact that we can always learn something, I was referring more to a couple of guys myself and Pottr know from our local league. One of which has apparently had 100 breaks but definitely hasn't! I guess you could call it the bullsh**ters?!

Funny you mention the loosening of the grip on long pots, I've made this change over the past year or so after Pottr advised me to try it and my long potting's come on a dream. We can learn from those better or worse than us but it's essential to be able to ignore those who are clearly full of nonsense.

I'll try your pink challenge tonight if I get a chance, sounds incredibly tricky though!
        Got to say Tom, the bullsh**ters are a great bunch in the snooker room. You watch them struggle to string 2 balls together and then you hear the 80+ high break story and listen to the excuses of missing with too much side or gonna play a Judd Trump special.

As for the Reds and pinks to middle, we can all learn but when you say routines like this can get a sub 50 breaker to the half century then I'm not sure. These sort of routines will just frustrate someone with a low high break, they are going to get more from basic line up and T with pinks. If you can go close to clearing these you are going to know most the angles to help you get that first 50 and build confidence rather than giving up on something that is too difficult.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Not to go too far off topic as I suppose it's to do with cue ball control but the more I play the more it seems to me a lot of problems are grip related, I feel if you can get the grip out of your game altogether the better your cueing will be. Is that a fair assessment?
          I hadn't given the grip much thought until recently but I must say that on long pots what runs through my head is 'loose grip, loose grip, loose grip' and a lot of them are flying in! Perhaps it isn't a bad thing to think about it on certain shots, I certainly wouldn't want to be thinking about my grip on the little touch shots though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
            Got to say Tom, the bullsh**ters are a great bunch in the snooker room. You watch them struggle to string 2 balls together and then you hear the 80+ high break story and listen to the excuses of missing with too much side or gonna play a Judd Trump special.

As for the Reds and pinks to middle, we can all learn but when you say routines like this can get a sub 50 breaker to the half century then I'm not sure. These sort of routines will just frustrate someone with a low high break, they are going to get more from basic line up and T with pinks. If you can go close to clearing these you are going to know most the angles to help you get that first 50 and build confidence rather than giving up on something that is too difficult.
            It's a tricky one, routines for me are all about repetition and imagery for when I'm next at the table. I've had days where I struggle to pot 5 reds on a line up after a few attempts and then other days where I'll clear it back to back. On a day where it's a struggle I move on to the next routine, after all what benefit is there in getting frustrated failing with the same routine over and over?

The 'imaginary 50 breakers' are fantastic. I played a few mates over Xmas giving them 80 points head start per frame playing for a pound a point. One of them said "I've had a 50 break, can't remember the exact number though"- Well obviously that was complete rubbish! I won a few quid that day

Comment

• Wow 80 points!!
              Haha, well done, they might not shoot their mouths off so much now that you have lightened their wallets

Comment

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

Brilliant, I'd love to see one of you guys do it because I can't and it's my routine! I know where I'm going wrong with the last two, just can't get perfect on them. Damn!

Yes mate, I know someone in our league, probably related who claims to have made 300 tons. Funny, he's not made a 50 in league in all his years. It's also strange that he made all these tons 'somewhere else'. He's got a handicap of +24 and should be about +40 as he only won two frames the whole of last season. lol He sounds like your chap. You can smell it, the farmyard they've walked through. If he switched effort from fakery into improving his snooker he'd be better off.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Not to go too far off topic as I suppose it's to do with cue ball control but the more I play the more it seems to me a lot of problems are grip related, I feel if you can get the grip out of your game altogether the better your cueing will be. Is that a fair assessment?
                  I think the grip subject is over cooked and is a personal thing for each individual. I have tried a loose grip which is very wrong,, for me. I have tried a tight grip which is wrong,, for me. So its pretty much in between the 2 really.

Most of the time when my game is offish its 2 things,,,1, not sighting the BOB, and , 2, movement on the shot.
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Towards Perfect Cue Ball Control - The D Test

Barry, I'd be impressed if by this time next week you can post a video doing 7 reds and pinks...

Should be easy for you, only have to play at 50% apparently

Comment

• I've never seen so many replies to a thread from an author who fails to practise what he's preaching!!! We might become witness to the best amateur in the world if we keep baiting him! ....oh well maybe not! Lol.
                      Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                      https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                        Barry, I'd be impressed if by this time next week you can post a video doing 7 reds and pinks...

Should be easy for you, only have to play at 50% apparently
                        50%, what stats are you making up now son? TSF, can I please have a better stalker, with more command of our language, one who can read and comprehend?!

Comment

• Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                          50%, what stats are you making up now son? TSF, can I please have a better stalker, with more command of our language, one who can read and comprehend?!
                          It's only a snooker forum barry, we are all here for the same thing. I'm sure pottr is just looking for you to post a video of the pink routine you have shared. He's one of the only regular members that posts his videos on here to help the forum, he did your D routine on second attempt and uploaded his video. Think plenty of members would appreciate you putting a video up as some are not sure what it's about still.

Comment

• You said you can't work out how to do the last two (or did I read it wrong?)

That means 13 reds and pinks in to middles is your best, which by the way is complete and utter bull**** because you're lying.

Anyway, to shut me up and win the internet... All you have to do is post a video of yourself clearing 6/7 reds and pinks to middle... Should be easy enough as it's 50% of your best.

Comment

• Brilliant, I'd love to see one of you guys do it because I can't and it's my routine! I know where I'm going wrong with the last two, just can't get perfect on them. Damn!
                              No, I didn't read it wrong... Like I have said. Just highlights to the genuine decent players that you're sub standard and you're a talker.

I've never seen so many replies to a thread from an author who fails to practise what he's preaching!!! We might become witness to the best amateur in the world if we keep baiting him! ....oh well maybe not! Lol.
                              100% unequivocally not!

Yes mate, I know someone in our league, probably related who claims to have made 300 tons. Funny, he's not made a 50 in league in all his years.
                              He must have your login details.

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                                Frazz you are 100% right---but i have to defend bw here,just like i defended mb lol this forum needs silly challenges ,silly post ect how many posts do you want to see about the same old rubbish, at least its new rubbish
                                Every post on here over the Last few years as been about the same old rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                                X