Can I practice too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I practice too much?

Hi all, I'm currently in preparation for the biggest snooker final of my life (The George Scott Annual Knockout). I know it's not the World Championships or the Masters but this tournament is hugely important to me. I started my practice in earnest last night. I put in 6 hours on the table with 3 friends in a small "round robin" comp. I'm back on Friday for another 6/7 hours and again on Sunday evening. There are a few things I was wondering? Am I better "whacking" balls around with mates who don't play very often, or going it alone with drills, safety play, etc etc? My final has to be played by 27th October but my opponent is away on holiday till Monday so I cannot arrange a firm date yet. It is likely to be played on the 27th but would practice every day next week or alternative days be best for my preparation? I just don't want to burn myself out but I want to be at my very best for the final. Any help or advice would be VERY much appreciated. Fred
    You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Better to practice on your own , it's all about doing the same thing time and time again regards your technique , if your not playing properly ie whacking balls around with your mates it gives you bad habits IMO , better to practice properly , but you need to play in your match the way you practice !!! Easier said than done... And good luck mate :-)

Comment

Good luck in the final Fred!

My advice would be to play every single day until the final rather than lots one day and none the next. Maybe twice a day rather than a really long session. Others may disagree, but I think it is best to do some quality solo practice over "whacking" balls around with mates who don't play very often.

Try to relax before the final so you are at your best. Don't eat just before the game and make sure you drink some water to keep fresh.

Hope this helps!

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

fred:

I would also agree with some of the others in that you should be getting good solo practice and don't do long sessions. As I still play competitively my practice is about 1hr solo, then take a break for a coffee and ciggy and then another hour and so on although if I make a ton or a high break I reward myself with an early break for coffee and ciggy (no danger of smoking too much though).

A respectable balance would be at least 50% solo and 50% with your mates but NEVER just bang the balls around and try for everyting. If your mates will stand it then play 'match tough' against them and try and simulate match conditions as much as you can. So work solo on your technique and then practice with a mate using match play and try and forget all about technique.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
          Don't eat just before the game and make sure you drink some water to keep fresh.
          Fred, also don't forget your lucky socks
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            Fred, also don't forget your lucky socks
            The missus is off to Ann Summers for a lucky thong!!!! For her not me though!!! Lol

Comment

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
              The missus is off to Ann Summers for a lucky thong!!!! For her not me though!!! Lol
              They might have a two for one sale . . .

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

for you! terrible picture I now have! thanks! eerrhh :shiver:

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  fred:

I would also agree with some of the others in that you should be getting good solo practice and don't do long sessions. As I still play competitively my practice is about 1hr solo, then take a break for a coffee and ciggy and then another hour and so on although if I make a ton or a high break I reward myself with an early break for coffee and ciggy (no danger of smoking too much though).

A respectable balance would be at least 50% solo and 50% with your mates but NEVER just bang the balls around and try for everyting. If your mates will stand it then play 'match tough' against them and try and simulate match conditions as much as you can. So work solo on your technique and then practice with a mate using match play and try and forget all about technique.

Terry
                  Even though my mates don't play much I really had my match head on last night. Safety when necessary and going for the odd dodgy shot, my style is naturally atacking so I don't want to completely forget my normal game. Having said that, I'm going to change slightly for the final. Cheers Terry.

Comment

They might have a two for one sale . . .

I will post pics of my celebration streak in the club next Sunday if you want??

Comment

Good luck in the final Fred!

My advice would be to play every single day until the final rather than lots one day and none the next. Maybe twice a day rather than a really long session. Others may disagree, but I think it is best to do some quality solo practice over "whacking" balls around with mates who don't play very often.

Try to relax before the final so you are at your best. Don't eat just before the game and make sure you drink some water to keep fresh.

Hope this helps!

Sound advice mythman. I will take on board what you advise mate. Thank you

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker warrior View Post
                        Better to practice on your own , it's all about doing the same thing time and time again regards your technique , if your not playing properly ie whacking balls around with your mates it gives you bad habits IMO , better to practice properly , but you need to play in your match the way you practice !!! Easier said than done... And good luck mate :-)
                        I'm going alone on Sunday. I've promised my son a session tomorrow afternoon. Don't want to let him down but a bit of solo practice sounds like the way forward. Cheers snooker warrior.

Comment

I will post pics of my celebration streak in the club next Sunday if you want??
                          Maybe just PM them to DeanH and ADR too.

Comment

Maybe just PM them to DeanH and ADR too.

Naaaaa, I'm gonna post for ALL to have a giggle!!! Hahaha. Do you think I will get banned??

Comment

Naaaaa, I'm gonna post for ALL to have a giggle!!! Hahaha. Do you think I will get banned??
                              what the hell, could be worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X