Kamui Black 11mm Medium Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamui Black 11mm Medium Review

I received my Kamui Black tip from Juri Talu, the Estonian pool champion who has his own website (www.wantcue.eu) and they are selling these Black Kamui tips in 11mm size in 'Medium' and 'Medium Hard'. I chose the 11mm Medium Black and from ordering to receiving was less than a week. I even paid using 'Paypal'!!

I took my cue and the tip to Stu Green at 'Greenbaize' this morning and he fitted it for me. Attached to Greenbaize is the Thornaby Snooker Centre so I then had the opportunity to immediately try out the new tip.

The balls that I used were match balls so in perfect condition and from the very first hit the tip can be summed up in one word.........BRILLIANT!! As soon as I got used to it, the tip was simply amazing....held chalk well, sounded perfect and I seemed to be able to screw back or run through effortlessly. Stu was also interested and so I gave him my cue and he put the tip through its paces and was also impressed. He said that it didn't move at all and played well from the start.....he played a few extreme 'side' and 'screw' shots and gave it his approval. After an hour the tip still looked almost the same as when it was first put on, ie hardly 'spread' at all.

Obviously I will now play as much as I can with the tip but my first impression is 'what a wonderful tip'!!

Oldgit :snooker:
    'Believe To Achieve'

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
    I received my Kamui Black tip from Juri Talu, the Estonian pool champion who has his own website (www.wantcue.eu) and they are selling these Black Kamui tips in 11mm size in 'Medium' and 'Medium Hard'. I chose the 11mm Medium Black and from ordering to receiving was less than a week. I even paid using 'Paypal'!!

I took my cue and the tip to Stu Green at 'Greenbaize' this morning and he fitted it for me. Attached to Greenbaize is the Thornaby Snooker Centre so I then had the opportunity to immediately try out the new tip.

The balls that I used were match balls so in perfect condition and from the very first hit the tip can be summed up in one word.........BRILLIANT!! As soon as I got used to it, the tip was simply amazing....held chalk well, sounded perfect and I seemed to be able to screw back or run through effortlessly. Stu was also interested and so I gave him my cue and he put the tip through its paces and was also impressed. He said that it didn't move at all and played well from the start.....he played a few extreme 'side' and 'screw' shots and gave it his approval. After an hour the tip still looked almost the same as when it was first put on, ie hardly 'spread' at all.

Obviously I will now play as much as I can with the tip but my first impression is 'what a wonderful tip'!!

Oldgit :snooker:
    Exactly what i said in a previous thread Oldgit... now i have a question... i bought the 14mm version in Medium and Soft... i found the Medium a tad too hard but the Soft was perfect for my game... does anyone know if the 11mm version is graded differently to the 14mm version??.. i ask this as you don't seem to be able to buy the Soft in an 11mm flavour!

But... it is the best tip i have ever played with in 27 years of playing the game!

Comment

Originally Posted by s1ivv3r View Post
      Exactly what i said in a previous thread Oldgit... now i have a question... i bought the 14mm version in Medium and Soft... i found the Medium a tad too hard but the Soft was perfect for my game... does anyone know if the 11mm version is graded differently to the 14mm version??.. i ask this as you don't seem to be able to buy the Soft in an 11mm flavour!

But... it is the best tip i have ever played with in 27 years of playing the game!
      I quite agree about it being the best tip that I have ever played with, in my case that is 40+ years!!

To answer your question, the 11mm 'medium' black Kamui is definitely not too hard, in fact both myself and Stu thought that it was a pretty similar hardness to the Talisman 'soft' tip. Where the Kamui seems better than the Talisman is that it doesn't seem to need any 'playing in'. I would say (in my opinion) that these 11mm tips are different to the 14mm tips and that is maybe why they seem to only be available in 'M' and 'MH'.

Oldgit
      'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

I quite agree about it being the best tip that I have ever played with, in my case that is 40+ years!!

To answer your question, the 11mm 'medium' black Kamui is definitely not too hard, in fact both myself and Stu thought that it was a pretty similar hardness to the Talisman 'soft' tip. Where the Kamui seems better than the Talisman is that it doesn't seem to need any 'playing in'. I would say (in my opinion) that these 11mm tips are different to the 14mm tips and that is maybe why they seem to only be available in 'M' and 'MH'.

Oldgit
        Oldgit

My two penneth here ... the 14mm Medium is definiely harder than the Talisman Soft... the 14mm Soft is about the same as the Talisman soft.. BUT... as you have just said.. the maintenance and the HIT of the Kamui Black is better... thats not to knock the Talisman as i would have no problems using it again if i couldn't get the Black Kamui!!

Now i'm sure i've seen somewhere that the 11mm are sold as "for Snooker" so i'm assuming that they are graded slightly differently from there 14mm brothers!!.. but you know what they say about assuming... lol

I might order a couple of the 11mm Medium to compare them but the problem is i can't see me re-tipping in the forseeable future as the tip lasts so bloody long... lol

Tip choice is as stated just a choice... what works for me won't work for someone else... but you really should give one of these tips a go... especially if you like the Talisman's... they are SUPERB in my opinion

Comment

I have two of the Kamui Black 'M' tips here in 14mm size and they look like they are 10 layers thick whereas the 11mm size are only 6 layers thick so I am assuming that for sure they are graded differently.

Oldgit
          'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Ordered a couple of tips via the link
            in your op cheers for that.
            I use the original 11mm tips at the
            moment but didn't know where to
            get the blacks from.
            It'll be good to see the differences
            between the two.

Comment

I've just noticed that there is also a guy on ebay selling these 11mm tips, his ebay name is 'snookercues4u' and he is from Barnsley so you should be able to receive them a lot faster than from Estonia!!

Oldgit
              'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

The Kamui black 6 layers who design more baise for the snooker players therefore the tip density is slightly soft than the usual 11 layers one.

The 11 layers are meant for pool.

Yes, the tip is just like what oldgit said excellent but the price is a deterrence.

Comment

I've just noticed that there is also a guy on ebay selling these 11mm tips, his ebay name is 'snookercues4u' and he is from Barnsley so you should be able to receive them a lot faster than from Estonia!!

Oldgit
                  well since i have been told the importers intend to fix a price at £10 and that the trade price will be about £6.50 i would be careful about that!
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                    well since i have been told the importers intend to fix a price at £10 and that the trade price will be about £6.50 i would be careful about that!
                    Will you be selling them Andrew?
                    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

yes when they send them - the company is now controlled by bce so the quality should remain good.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

OK......it is now over a week since I started using the new black kamui 11mm medium tip.

The tip was absolutely fantastic when it was first fitted, and I was over the moon.............but over the last week I have to say that in my opinion the tip has changed from a medium to a medium-hard or even a hard!!

Seems like the exact opposite from a Talisman 'soft'.....they seemed to be rock hard when first fitted but once you start using them they seemed (to me!!) to soften up a little. The Kamui started off absolutely perfect from the very first hit but now I think its maybe a little on the hard side. I will be interested in everyone elses opinion about this as I may be totally wrong!!

Oldgit
                        Last edited by Oldgit; 8 April 2010, 03:34 PM.
                        'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Yes, most layered tips if not the most behaved like that.
                          They tend to feel too good to be true during the initial start, then they will feel harder & harder as they settled it.
                          after
                          For those who is considering kamui or moori tip, i will suggest getting a S or SS to try before venturing to try M as they will feel harder couple of days later.

Comment

Got my tips from Estonia today
                            I'll probably put one on in the next couple of days
                            then I'll add my views as well.
                            I tend to scuff my tip up before I play,so I hope that if
                            they harden up it will still hold chalk.
                            I can live with hard just not shiny.
                            Last edited by Mick Dundee; 13 April 2010, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Hi there, have also bought and tried. I found the tip great with a lot of grip, as it gets older it gets a little harder but still the grip on the cueball is fantastic. I get the same amount of side on the ball without playing to far away from the centre of the cueball.
                              It is a whole new experience and takes a couple of weeks to get used to.
                              But I must say the tip is definately the best I have used doesnt lose its shape and looks like it will last me all year.

regards MOD

Comment

Working...
                              X