No announcement yet.

This cue making lark ain't easy - my attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes it's very prone to splitting extremely attractive wood however I'd recommend using lower splices as getting long enough lengths with enough stability will be difficult always a risk with snakewood as it can develop issues over time due to changes in temperature or climate.

Comment

• I made a snakewood jewellery box in college it was very expensive too let it dry out but it split about 3-4 years later as my mum kept it pretty close to radiator

Comment

• Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
        You will have to work round the cracks,cos it is prone to cracking
        It has a couple of radial cracks at the minute which I will cut along

Originally Posted by Whirlwind Wayne View Post
        Yes it's very prone to splitting extremely attractive wood however I'd recommend using lower splices as getting long enough lengths with enough stability will be difficult always a risk with snakewood as it can develop issues over time due to changes in temperature or climate.
        I wasn't intending on making a full butt, don't think I can afford to do that lol
        Last edited by RogiBear; 23 May 2014, 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Am I right in thinking that oiling the wood after its been fitted and planed will help prevent cracking? I had a few issues with olivewood cracking but haven't had a problem since saturating it with olive oil then finishing with boiled linseed.

Comment

• Originally Posted by bradwight View Post
            Am I right in thinking that oiling the wood after its been fitted and planed will help prevent cracking? I had a few issues with olivewood cracking but haven't had a problem since saturating it with olive oil then finishing with boiled linseed.
            Not sure about that, I think snakewood is just temperamental anyway so a change in conditions could cause it to crack anyway. I've never had any problems with olivewood before, although I don't use it now as I found out I'm allergic to it.

Comment

• Thanks, wasn't too sure like!

Speaking of allergies, I recently had a customer who developed a rash on his hands caused by the linseed finish Id applied to his cue! Never heard of that before! Took it all back with white spirits and refinished it with a beeswax based concoction I cooked up, problem solved but not something Id ever considered before!

Comment

• Originally Posted by bradwight View Post
                Thanks, wasn't too sure like!

Speaking of allergies, I recently had a customer who developed a rash on his hands caused by the linseed finish Id applied to his cue! Never heard of that before! Took it all back with white spirits and refinished it with a beeswax based concoction I cooked up, problem solved but not something Id ever considered before!
                That's a strange one, not heard of that before

Comment

• Cue No. 002 finished

Thought I'd stick some pictures of this up. Finished cue No.002 yesterday. This one wasn't made for anyone in particular so is up for grabs. If anyone is interested, pm me and we'll sort something out

Specs:
                  • One piece, oil finish with an absolute cracker of a shaft
                  • Stiff flex with three great even arrows towards the ferrule, blank belly for super-smooth cueing
                  • 19" ebony butt with front splice of amboyna burl highlighted with red and curly maple veneers
                  • 58" long
                  • 9.5mm tip, 29.5mm butt
                  • 17.4 oz

Comment

• Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                    Thought I'd stick some pictures of this up. Finished cue No.002 yesterday. This one wasn't made for anyone in particular so is up for grabs. If anyone is interested, pm me and we'll sort something out

Specs:
                    • One piece, oil finish with an absolute cracker of a shaft
                    • Stiff flex with three great even arrows towards the ferrule, blank belly for super-smooth cueing
                    • 19" ebony butt with front splice of amboyna burl highlighted with red and curly maple veneers
                    • 58" long
                    • 9.5mm tip, 29.5mm butt
                    • 17.4 oz

That looks a stunner Rog , if there was good marking on the opposite side i would have been interested , do you fit sd joints in youre cues .

Comment

• Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                      That looks a stunner Rog , if there was good marking on the opposite side i would have been interested , do you fit sd joints in youre cues .
                      I have done in the past, but as I don't use a lathe I have to rely on a jig I made up. If someone wanted one, I'd rather send it off to get fitted by someone else

Comment

• That's a very nice looking cue mate what was number 1 cue ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
                          That's a very nice looking cue mate what was number 1 cue ?
                          It was one that I made for myself. The last cue I posted in this thread http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...387#post771387

Comment

• This cue making lark ain't easy - my attempts

Nice work again Adam - Is the veneer combo going to be a bit of a trademark for you?
                            On Cue Facebook Page
                            Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
                            Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
                              Nice work again Adam - Is the veneer combo going to be a bit of a trademark for you?
                              Possibly I just particularly like a single thin veneer. Imo two thins or one thick are the way to go, as it accents the wood nicely for little extra work or cost.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Removal man stevie View Post
                                That's a very nice looking cue mate what was number 1 cue ?
                                The one you commented on, in post #91

Comment

Working...
                                X