No announcement yet.

Starting to think it isn't object ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* But each to their own, if CB sighting works for you, stick to it. The acid test can be found on long blues or tricky rail shots, or cueing off the rail. Try both and see which is best out of 10 shots for each method.

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
      I've not read or seen any of Chris Henry but i had somebody tell me and they were convinced Ronnie,Hendry and Higgins all were cue ball strikers because of this Chris Henry.
      I'm going to have a look and see what he says but I'll keep an open mind
      Definition CB player does not exist!! it's something made up by C Henry to make himself more important !! Yes,, you may can pott one or two balls that way ,, but there is no way in the world that a blind man (one who not even for 1 or 2 seconds looking at the OB), can make a 100 breaks !! I have asked C Henry about this ... and you know what his answer was??? I talk from experience!!
      He is a great coach,, but that does'nt mean he is always right!! he is loesing his mind !!
      btw, here re a few photo's of players who re all CB players ( acding to C Henry ) ,,, It looks likes they re looking at the CB indeed ,,, ( of crs ,, in a dream world ) ,

[IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]
      [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
        When folk have little confidence, they look at the CB, the OB, the pocket, their cue, everything. The twitch, they pull the cue, they question unwanted side, everything comes into their minds.
        this quote is what its all about, CONFIDENCE! i believe when all the basics are done correctly, you are lined up right, everything looks right and you just play the shot. you don't twitch or move because you are confident.

its when you have doubt or you feel that you aren't lined up right because you don't trust yourself , this is when you start being conscious of your stance bridge hand...etc, etc.

this is why those who practice the shot with closed eyes have success, i have done it myself , with the eyes closed there are no conflicts, nothing to give you any doubts.

but all this proves is its all in the mind, all you need to do is trust your technique and relax

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
          this quote is what its all about, CONFIDENCE! i believe when all the basics are done correctly, you are lined up right, everything looks right and you just play the shot. you don't twitch or move because you are confident.

its when you have doubt or you feel that you aren't lined up right because you don't trust yourself , this is when you start being conscious of your stance bridge hand...etc, etc.

this is why those who practice the shot with closed eyes have success, i have done it myself , with the eyes closed there are no conflicts, nothing to give you any doubts.

but all this proves is its all in the mind, all you need to do is trust your technique and relax
          You're right but if it was that simple we'd all be professionals
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

yes true, however this is why all those thousands of hours the pros put into practice when they were learning the game pays off. they no longer have to think about any aspect of there technique because they have total confidence.

Comment

yes true, however this is why all those thousands of hours the pros put into practice when they were learning the game pays off. they no longer have to think about any aspect of there technique because they have total confidence.
              If this was true mate they wouldn't change their coach and or cues, but i know what you mean though.
              Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer ever and even he changed his technique.
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

If this was true mate they wouldn't change their coach and or cues, but i know what you mean though.
                Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer ever and even he changed his technique.
                i hear you, however its human nature, we are never satisfied , we lose a bit of form for whatever reason so we start to tinker and then it gets worse and we can't seem to get back to where we were , so we look for solutions to problems that are really not there. we end up thinking change is needed and look for help from others.

where if we just took a step back and returned to basics that's all what was needed.

Comment

i hear you, however its human nature, we are never satisfied , we lose a bit of form for whatever reason so we start to tinker and then it gets worse and we can't seem to get back to where we were , so we look for solutions to problems that are really not there. we end up thinking change is needed and look for help from others.

where if we just took a step back and returned to basics that's all what was needed.
                  I used to be like what you have mentioned, every time my form drops i change all sorts of thing to try and correct it. Almost always it would got worse the the bad form can last for many sessions.... After playing for awhile I realized it's really just the basics that need to be looked at.... Good to keep in hand your usual pre-shot routine so remind yourself.... So nowadays i don't get frustrated as much and i just go straight to cueing along the baulk line slowly up and down for 10 minutes and usually brings my form back to normal even if it's not the best.

Comment

I hear what you're saying GDS...

But changing your technique with should be about the mechanics of the action... Your eyes have zero involvement at that level... So let them remain unconscious and just play...

Your mind will tell your eyes what to do without you even having to worry x

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                      This is all well and good, but it does raise the question as to what Chris Henry is seeing when he videos pros close up. Is he lying or just plain wrong when he says some of them (quite a few in fact) are CB sighters? And how can you be wrong when you are analysing the shot in detail with video?
                      I have seen top pros looking at the cue ball on the strike, but only on safety shots. It could very well be that if your intent is only on the one ball, like say you need a safe cue ball, then you will subconsciously focus on that ball, but hell, if the cue ball is a foot away from where you wanted it to go it can still be dead safe, but pots are a different matter altogether

It's extremely difficult to do if it doesn't come naturally, and any kind of anxiety will make you look elsewhere than where you have to as you will lose the natural eye movements that go in tandem with your feathers and delivery.
                      To slow down if you're a fast player or speed up if you're a slow player will ensure that your eyes are looking elsewhere than where they usually look when you're playing well at your natural pace.

Eyesight has a lot to do with it too, if your eyesight is better than 20/20 you can be a naturally fast player as your eyes will focus faster than those players with 20/20 vision or less.
                      My time with contact lenses was a bit hit and miss; I could play very well at my normal fast pace at times, but there was always a time when the eyes didn't quite focus as fast and then my timing would leave me.

Using specs there are times when the light reflects on the lenses and the contact point can't be focussed on, anti glare coating or not this happens regularly and it makes a hell of a difference.

And I must make the point of the difference between looking in the direction of the object ball and simply having it in your field of vision, and actually focussing with intent on the contact point on the object ball, it's the latter you should be doing as the former makes no difference at all because you're just not looking at anything in particular, although you think you are.

Long shots;

why are long shots harder to make than short range shots ?

Because it's harder to focus on the contact point on the object ball when you're further away; if it was simply a matter of setting up the shot properly and letting the cue go through straight long shots should be just as easy as any other, if it was a matter of looking at the cue ball then long shots would be just as easy as any other.

Comment

Long shots are harder to make because the white has further to travel... means you need to cue it straighter for longer and at pace...

Naff all to do with your eyes.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                          Long shots are harder to make because the white has further to travel... means you need to cue it straighter for longer and at pace...

Do you play with your eyes closed then? The real reason long shots are harder is because it's harder to focus on things further away and deliver the cue even straighter than usual to avoid any error being compounded over increased distances. You can miss the middle of the pocket on a 3ft pot and watch it drop, it won't happen on a 10ft pot.
                          Last edited by Master Blaster; 30 June 2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I think you're overcomplicating things, pal

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post

Says a man with better than 20/20 vision

Comment

I do have better than average vision...

Perhaps I take for granted the importance of where you look... I can concede that.

I just feel I know in my bones that you really don't need to worry about it when you're analysing a cue action... I have no more proof than that unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X